Monday, November 3, 2008

The New...


So now my year has entered a new phase ... I am back to 'work', well, new work for me . I was very excited to take up a position with Canada World Youth as their Development Officer for Global Learner Programs (many of you will recognize this as the organization I have run my school's Costa Rica projects with for the past several years). Its a short 4 month contract, but just enough I felt to get a sense of what it is like to work in the not-for-profit sector do some educational work outside the classroom and an opportunity to excercise my transferrable skills (turns out ... I have some!!). I am really enjoying things so far ... the quiet 'yogic' environment of our office space, time to have meaningful discussions, hour long lunch breaks, limited 'homework' and most of all working with people who are hard working and enthusiastically & wholly committed to the work that they do in this field, there is a good, positive, hopeful energy present working in this sector.

Just by way of transition ... I must mention that over the past few weeks while 'reintegrating' back into my life here I have noticed often little things that spring up in front of me asking questions like " is this still how you want to do this" ? or ... is this really how you feel? Reminds me of the Pirsig quote: 'The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.' However, I would like to / am trying to confront these little things ... Martin (oh yes!! we did meet him again in the end!!) says that in many ways the camino begins once you get back home and I try to keep this in mind when I confront the changes I see in myself. It has been nice to chat (thank you technology this time!) with camino friends about this re-integration phase ... in particular I am missing our 'team red flag' (see photo above) we liked to think of ourselves on 'the amazing race' (camino edition) from time to time & created thoroughly hilarious commentaries for ourselves and other 'teams' involving fellow unsuspecting pilgrims... if only they knew the names we had created from them "the ponytail singers" to give you an outrageous example...) From left is Audrey who I met in Rabbanal and had many adventures and laughs with including coffee breaks in unusual places, trying to pin the heart shaped sand message on Jacques from France and singing opera to budgees ... Vin & I are center and Martin the miracle cream man who rejoined us in Sarria!
It was Martin who gave me this poem in Santiago... something for the future...
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with wary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where may paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
~J.R.R Tolkein

No comments: